Stoners and investors everywhere are raving on and on
about marijuana! (Some intelligibly and some not-so-intelligibly.) But what’s
the big deal? Well, first of all, the selling and consumption of marijuana was
legalized in Washington and Colorado recently. Vendors sprung up on every
street corner now that it was “okay” to do drugs. Consumers were finally over
the “opportunity cost” of get high and go to jail or don’t! Investors also sprung
up at the opportunity, buying into marijuana producers and sellers, foreseeing
the new market that would become available. And profitable it was! Nearly $600,000,000
worth of recreational marijuana was sold in the first year alone. Sales are
projected to at least quadruple by
2018! If I were an investor and there was even a slight hint of a quadruple
return on my investments, I’d sell my house! Who needs a house when you have
drug money?
This brings up an even bigger question than the normal “Is
pot okay”: Is it possible to invest in marijuana and still hold your moral
standards? Most people against marijuana would say no, because you’re
supporting the growth of the problem, and I believe that’s true. The next point
I’m about to make might be a little long-winded, but stick with me!
Referring back to an old post I made, I talked
about abortion and companies who supported abortion. I made the point that a
company is a company, and they should be treated as such. But then I was
brought the question of “What if a company supported ISIS?” That’s a whole ‘nother
animal, but, by law, treason is described in Article. III. Section. 3. of our
Constitution. “Treason against the United
States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their
Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.” So, treason is the support of our
enemies. Therefore, if you support a company that is against your own beliefs,
you are committing moral treason
against yourself. So, no, I do not believe it is possible to invest in
marijuana and still hold your moral standards. Only time will tell what
actually happens with the marijuana industry… and our souls :).
That was a beautiful argument using the constitution on all levels, spiritual, legal, and moral. Way to engage Noah. How did you come up with that insight, very impressive.
ReplyDelete