Friday, September 12, 2014

Christian Club Bans - 9/12

        California State Universities are banning Christian clubs that do not allow gays to be in leadership positions. If the Christian clubs were to allow gays to be in leadership positions, that would contradict Christian doctrines. Christians believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman, not a man and a man or a woman and a woman. These clubs are being banned basically for holding their own standards and sticking to them.
        If Matthew Hadley, an anime enthusiast, for example, were to start an anime club at Faith Christian, then I would not expect myself to be in a position of leadership in that club as my personal beliefs directly conflict with that which regards anime. (I just don't like it!) In the same way, someone whose personal beliefs conflict with Christianity should not be in a leadership position in a Christian club.
Of course, not electing a gay person as a leader doesn’t mean that gay people are being shunned from Christianity. While we accept divorcees into the church with open arms, many Christians reject gay people, and that is certainly a problem. Christians need to not let a “holier than thou” attitude get in the way of spreading the gospel to all people. As Bill Clinton said, “We all do better when we work together. Our differences do matter, but our common humanity matters more.” Even though Bill Clinton may not be the best moral example, this quote can be applied to Christianity. We need to realize our differences with other people groups and address them appropriately.
Gay marriage, for example, is not directly addressed by the Bible, but it is implied that it is not God’s will in Leviticus 18:22: "You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; It is an abomination." Personally, I think gay marriage is okay --- as long as it is between a gay man and a gay woman.


P.S. to Mr. Bicknell – Computer lab wasn’t working, and I forgot to submit my post when I finished after school. :)

6 comments:

  1. good blog I enjoyed your point of the anime club it had humor making your blog more interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working together...that sounds nice. I really wish we could make that a reality. I'm sick of everyone trying to sue each other etc. for Christians hating on gays and gays hating on Christians to advertise that their "organization" is better. These problems should be addressed with an open mind (though ultimately Bible based). Your blog had great ideas. (Your last paragraph was a nice laugh XD)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are ok, I consider this on time. Matthew Hadley animes, Bill Clinton morality, Bible verses and heterosexual humor all in one blog is an interesting mix to make a point, but in a way this is uniquely you. You addressed the point, you read the articles obviously. Continue to pursue the underlying issue beyond the simple obvious arguments, there is something deeper here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading this because it grasped my attention and wasn't boring and you used your humor

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ur blog. There are some deep things in it. You make the strict topic a little humorous

    ReplyDelete
  6. You suck for not liking anime, but you made a good analogy though about the clubs.

    ReplyDelete